Sunday, September 30, 2007

Second Life, Second Chances





I just found this article at: http://www.secondlifeinsider.com/2007/09/29/second-life-second-chances/ about the Churches Advertising Network (CAN) beginning a poster campaign about overcoming regret about past mistakes and beginning life again. They also have an island called Patmos in Second Life which supposedly resembles first-century Palestine.

So, I decided to go and check it out. It was certainly an interesting spot to visit. Though its does kinda resemble first-century Palestine (there are camels in the streets), the activities are very definitely 21st century. It's a mixture of SL orientation and Christian information.

I headed down Gethsemane Road to see what I could see. On my right there was the 'Sacred Space' and a sign that invited me to enter to escape from life for a bit. So I did and found myself in a desolate garden with a few rocks around a pond. I sat there and duly contemplated life before I decided to set off and explore the rest of the island.

Gethsemane Road joined Fig Tree Road and there were some fairly authentic-looking and atmospheric buildings but they were empty. I kept on going, past the camel stop, past the graffiti referencing Monty Python's Life of Brian ('Romanes eunt domus' - hilarious!) and came upon some police camels - at least someone has a sense of humour. I hit Galilee Avenue and there was a big colosseum-like building, so in the spirit of adventure, I went in. I was instructed to press play at the bottom of my screen and I heard the testimonial of someone who had taken a 'Second Chance'. I was told that if I needed a second chance, all I needed to do was visit a Christian church.

So, I continued on my way and found an outhouse which advised me that if I sprinkled while I tinkled to please wipe the seat, followed by the sound of flushing. I kept on, trying to find a way into the stadium but came upon a Wethreekingsoforient arebucks which I think is supposed to be a Starbucks for believers. There are tables and food and a roaring fire. Suitably refreshed, I go off in search of the stadium entrance once more. This time I'm successful.

I pass the Box Office (fortunately all shows are free today) and go inside. I grab some refreshments on my way in (a Pepsi, chocolate icecream, a blueberry icecone and some popcorn) and head in. Nothing's happening. There's a big screen but nothing on it, so I eat my stuff and go. There's an annoying popcorn eating animation that just won't quit so I amble on stuffing invisible popcorn into my mouth.

By this stage I'm on Heavenly Way and moving into Narrow Way. Another room, another testimonial. This time from Kenny. Another outhouse - must be all that tea the English drink. So, I'm about where I started. There's an orientation garden that gives you the basics on Second Life. Across the Way is the Everlasting Arms - another place to drink in front of a blazing fire.

I'm back on Gethsemane Road and decide to pass on the Golgotha Mountain Crazy Golf. I can't see the point in RL let alone in SL. So about the place you can touch a glowing question mark and you'll receive a notecard about scenes or people from the Bible. I see a sign for the Dead Sea Surf School but can't find it. Just as well, I couldn't possibly surf while I'm stuffing imaginary popcorn into my mouth!

There's a large church with lots of advertising in it. I'm imagining the posters will dispense notecards but also you can open a url which will provide further info and resources. Overall, this is a well-built and interesting region. Humour is used to good effect. I can't help but think that the testimonials are too short to be of any real value. I get the impression the area is still under development but it's well worth a look.



No comments: